Monday, May 3, 2010

Carrying Around the Weight of the World


I am a pretty active person. I realize that probably doesn't work with the image that most people have of someone my size, but I am. I home school my kids, volunteer for their sports organizations (there are a lot of them) and I volunteer at our church for all sorts of things.

I sometimes have days that start at 6:00 and end at 10:00 where I might cook 18 meals for the people in my own house, shoot a few hoops with Bubba, make 3 trips to Costco (because I can be forgetful; go figure)and then cook, serve and organize dinner for two hundred people at the Bigs youth group. At the end of such a day, I am in PAIN. My legs burn. I want my feet removed. When that kind of day comes to an end, I just want to sit and be very still for a very long time. Do you know why I feel this way? I feel this way not only because the day is long but because all day long I am carrying 100 extra pounds.

Think about that for a minute. A lot of people can't carry 100 pounds up a flight of stairs. I carry it with me everywhere. I don't decide the easiest position to carry it in. It's just there.

I remember my doctor telling me that knee replacements have become much more common in young people because of the obesity epidemic. Makes sense. I know that I have had issues with my knees but they seemed to have lessened. I did start wearing Danskos which are the most expensive ugly shoes of all time. I think that they have helped with the all over pain as well as with the knees.

Anyway, I hate the pain that my weight brings me after I do the things that I love to do .............. but I have no intention of letting it hold me back more than it already does either.

No comments:

Post a Comment