Friday, September 2, 2011

What is Inflamation???

'Inflamation' has become a buzz word - not one that I have ever heard my doctor actually use but one that I have seen a lot of books and articles written about in the past couple of years. A few months ago, I had a biopsy on a weird looking thing on my arm. The pathology report came back stating that there was no cancer but the tissue was inflamed? I just went with the 'no cancer' part of the finding and ignored the rest a did my doctor.

So what is inflammation and if it's such a big deal, why isn't my doctor talking about it?

Inflammation is a process by which the body’s white blood cells and chemicals protect us from infection and foreign substances such as bacteria and viruses.


Chronic inflammation is caused by the body’s defense system inappropriately triggering an inflammatory response when there are no foreign substances to fight off. The body’s normally protective immune system causes damage to its own tissues.

The causes of inflammation are just what you would think, diet, weight and inactivity.

Over this past week, I may have only lost seven pounds but my face, feet and belly (and probably the rest of me too but those are the areas I noticed) have lost their puffiness. I have probably lost four inches off of my middle. Is that because I have lost a bunch of water weight or because the inflammation has gone down? Is inflammation visible? I just don't know

I guess I am pleased either way. From what I have read, I am definitely eating an anti-inflammatory diet. I hope it's working.

No comments:

Post a Comment